Saturday, February 20, 2010

Once upon a dream


Last spring we decided to take a summer trip to the beach. But first let me backtrack 9 years...

When Jason and I started planning our honeymoon, we asked a few friends to recommend some nice spots in Florida. I had never really had a beach vacation, and Jason had fond memories of going to the beach as a child and teenager. As luck would have it, my best friend from college and her husband had just purchased a vacation home in Panama City Beach, Florida, and were unbelievably generous. They gave us three nights (sandwiched in between two other renters) at the house for free. Another family friend whom I have known since birth gave us a full week at a time share condo in Ormond Beach, Florida.

When Jason and I arrived at the Venture Out resort in PCB the day after our wedding, we were excited to see the little vacation house that awaited us. We were delighted to find a two-bedroom, two-bathroom house with a full kitchen, dining area, and living room. The decor was tasteful and beautiful. There were two pools in the resort, one on the beach and one on a lagoon at the back of the resort. There were tennis courts, shuffle board courts, and a mini putting green. The beach was beautiful until Jason went running into the surf, stepped into a hole, and tore all the ligaments in his ankle. We spent hours in the ER. But that's another story.

That was in July 2000. Two years later we decided to go back to the PCB house. Then again in 2003. That time we were accompanied by my brother Daniel and his first wife Esther. We had a lot of fun spending the week relaxing, swimming, throwing frisbee on the beach, eating at nice restaurants, and just enjoying family. The next few years passed quickly until 2006 when we decided to go back once again. I remember when we arrived home after our week in paradise, I quipped, "Do you realize we just took what might be our last vacation before we have a family?" Sure enough, almost a year to the day later, Elijah Bryan joined our family on 7/21/07.

That brings us up to date for the purposes of this story.

We decided to take Elijah to the beach for the first time in July 2009. We knew he would have a good time, especially if we prepped him for it. So we decided to start talking about it early and often so that he would be pumped about the trip. As soon as we had set our dates, we started talking about the beach, and Florida, and how much fun it was going to be. Then just a few weeks before leaving, we started chanting "We're going to Florida" over and over every day.

Well, when we finally got to Florida, I started a record of our adventures. That last two days. Then I didn't have internet connection, so I just let time get away from me and didn't really record what we did. I just looked back at my narratives of the first two days and I have to say: I'm so excited that we're going back this year.

Just yesterday we reserved "our house" in PCB for a full week. I am so excited! Elijah is pumped! Jason is stoked! A whole week of the Newsome Three.

When Elijah got up from his nap just a while ago, I asked him if he had any dreams.

"Yep," he replied. "I dreamed about the beach."

Fabulous!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for letting me enjoy last years vacation with The Newsome Three. I now have memories with my grandson at the beach that can never be taken away from me. What a blessing it was...Thanks again...Granny

    ReplyDelete