Monday, February 8, 2010

Elijah-isms

Okay. Let's see. I've got to dig back a ways.

One night Jason was sitting in the recliner with Elijah in his lap. Eli says, "Come sit with us, Mommy." Not sure whether the recliner would support all three of us, I did a hover squat over Jason's knee. Elijah grabs me with one arm and Jason with the other. "I love you guys. We're a little family." That's when I collapsed and hugged the little guy as hard as I could.

One day while Elijah and I were home by ourselves, we were playing in his playroom. "Mommy, I don't wanna play football like this when I grow up." (He imitated a quarterback throwing the ball.) I laughed. He said it again, with more emphasis. I decided to let Jason know so I sent him the heartbreaking news that his 2 1/2 year old son didn't want to play football. I told Elijah that it would be okay... he could play baseball, or basketball, or soccer, or maybe not even play sports. The important thing was to find something he enjoys and is good at. Well later that evening, Jason came home from work. Eli gave him his "welcome home" hug then proceeded to tell him. "Daddy, I don't wanna play football like this (imitated the throwing thing again) when I grow up. I wanna do this." At that point, he began running as fast as his little legs would carry him. So Daddy decided, "Oh, you wanna be a running back instead of a quarterback." Elijah nodded and grinned. Finally, someone understood what he wanted to do.

More will follow. I just have to remember.

UPDATED 2/14/10
I'm importing CD's onto my I-Pod. Elijah is sitting right beside me in the recliner. All of the sudden, he says, "There's an apple. It's almost all gone." I kept wondering what he was talking about. Then I looked at the top of the I-Tunes screen. There, with a bit taken out of one side, is the Apple logo. How observant is he?

No comments:

Post a Comment