Friday, February 12, 2010

Baby, it's cold outside!

Today was a teacher inservice day in Catoosa County... one of my favorite school days. My husband always jokes, "You'd love your job if it wasn't for the kids, wouldn't you?" :) Well, we were told yesterday in faculty meeting that there wouldn't be much heat in the school today due to some maintenance being performed on a problematic water pipe. Turns out there wasn't any heat in the school. Since my desk is directly in front of a large window, I was freezing as I worked in my classroom grading papers and scoring book projects. I was relieved, therefore, when our principal announced via intercom that the heat was being restored to the majority of the building. He then followed that announcement with the announcement that we were encouraged to leave school for the weekend when we left for lunch due to the "inclement weather" (i.e., snow) that was heading our direction. I totally took him up on that offer! You don't have to tell this girl twice.

So I called Eli's babysitter and told her that I would be picking him up earlier than normal. She said that she had put the kids in front of the front window and told them to watch her go get the mail. They were so excited that it was snowing; when she came back in the house, they said, "Did you build a snowman?"

When I picked up Eli to come home, he told me that Santa was coming to his house. I asked him who told him that, "Nannalie." (Nannalie = the almost 3 year old little girl who stays with the same babysitter every day. They've been buddies since Eli started staying there in September 2007.)

"Well, honey," I said, "Santa doesn't come see you every time it snows."

"Yes, he do. And him bring me presents at my house."

How do you tell a two year old that snow doesn't equal Santa? I didn't have the heart to take it any farther, so I just said, "We'll have to wait and see."

One thing I do know... it is COLD outside! I don't remember the last time we had this much bitterly cold weather and snow in one winter season. As cold as it is, though, I intend to enjoy the snow wtih my favorite little boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment